Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Impact of Electronic Media

Abby: Gahh!! This is our last post! What am I supposed to do now?!

Me: Umm... what do you normally do when we're not talking?

Abby: Wait for you to get back.

Me: It's interesting seeing the influence of electronic media today.

Abby: What do you mean?

Me: Do you remember a time before the Internet or television?

Abby: Not really, no.

Me: Me neither. The Internet has been so ingrained into our lives. I can "attend" a class online, watch videos of people from the other side of the world, send a message instantly. Teachers have lately been implementing web-logs or "blogs" to get students more involved with writing. You can't attach a video or a link on a paper essay, but blogging gives you that opportunity.

Abby: Life with electronic media sure is nice!

Me: Well, it does have its disadvantages. Obviously, there are hackers, cyber-bullying, an invasion of privacy. And if you don't have access to a computer and Internet, it is harder to participate in these mandatory class assignments. Think of this blog, for example. If one doesn't have computer access, they can't write a blog and may not get the 100 points for this project.

Abby: So what was you overall opinion on this assignment then?

Me: I felt that it was more "free-form."As stated earlier, I can put videos and pictures on this, which I cannot do in a formal essay. However, it was a little difficult blogging 2-3 times a week, since I would often run out of ideas to talk about.

Abby: I'm going to miss our talks.

Me: I'm sure you are.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog! My inspirations for some of these posts are from educational short films, songs, my Intro to Sociology class, my Intro to Film Analysis class, my Abnormal Psychology class, and just life experiences. The "Abby" character is based off my dog who is part Lab and Golden Retriever. She unfortunately passed away a couple years ago due to cancer. She was always positive, but sometimes oblivious, which inspired me to create her character for this project. I currently live with two new puppies, Thor and Loki, that usually take up a lot of my attention.

Works Cited
Anthologized in Michael Meyer, ed. Literature to Go. Boston: Bedford/St. Mortins. 2011. Print.
Anthologized in Robert Scholes, Nancy R. Camley, Carl H. Klaus, and Michael Silverman, ed. Elements in Literature, 4th ed. New York: Oxford UP. 1991. Print.
Mansfield, Brian. "Exclusive 3-song Sampler from Vienna Teng." USA Today. N.p., 12 July 2013. Web. 13 Nov. 2013.
Satrapi, Marjane. Persepolis. New York, NY: Pantheon, 2003. Print.
Vienna Teng. The Hymn of Acxiom. Cason Cooley and Vienna Teng, 2013. MP3.
"The Walking Dead." Telltale Games. N.p., 2013. Web. 10 Oct. 2013.
What Is the Shortest Poem? Perf. Michael Stevens. YouTube. Vsauce, 22 June 2013. Web. 8 Nov. 2013.
"The Wolf Among Us." Telltale Games. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Oct. 2013.

In Memory of Abby Lennon
June 10, 2000 - April 26, 2012

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for the loss of your dog. I have a pet pomeranian that I've had for at least 12 years. I really like your creative writing style.

    ReplyDelete