Friday, November 15, 2013

"If genes don't determine race, what does?"



Abby: We're nearing the end of the quarter, which means our talks are coming to an end soon!

Me: Gee, what a nightmare.

Abby: We must converse about something before it's too late! What did you think of the message of David Henry Hwang's Trying to Find Chinatown?

Me: I found a bit amusing how the Chinese-American character was the more racist of the two. I suppose Hwang was trying to be ironic or something.

Abby: I think Ronnie had a bit of a point though. Genes do determine the color of your skin, eyes, height, etc. I mean, I'm part Golden Retriever and Labrador, so I have characteristics of the two breeds.

Me: I agree that genes determine how you look on the outside, your phenotypes, but I don't think they determine your race.

Abby: But isn't your race how you look? You're dark skinned and of Asian descent, so don't you consider your race to be Filipino?

Me: I think you are born with certain genes of an ethnicity, not a race. For me, I'm 75% Filipino and 25% Irish. I consider that to be my ethnicity. However, I do not believe my race is Filipino or Irish. Because I was entirely raised in environment of American culture and practices, I consider my race to be American.

Abby: Why do you keep putting "race" and "ethnicity" in italics? Aren't they the same thing?

Me: To me, no. I feel like ethnicity is in your genes, but race is based off your environment you grew up in. It bugs me whenever I fill out a survey for school or something, they ask me for my race. I do not think that my mostly Filipino "race" should be considered as legitimate data when comparing my performance in school to other students' races. I understand that De Anza is filled with over 1,000 international students, however, I don't think I fit under the same category as students from the Philippines. I feel more connected to my American side than my Filipino and Irish roots.

Abby: But you look Filipino! You can't deny that!

Me: Because I deviate from Euro-centric looks of "typical" Americans, I don't have the luxury of hiding my ethnicity. Fortunately for Benjamin in Trying to Find Chinatown, he has the option of revealing his ethnicity when he feels like it.

Abby: Does this mean I can choose my breed then?

Me: I don't know how race and ethnicity transfers over to the dog world, sorry.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sara,
    I'm putting down 100 points out of 100 for you right now. Best blog I've seen in every way. I'll send you the filled-out rubric but I just wanted to say how well you used your avatar - dog (whose opinions I love) and how you wrote consistently and intelligently about the plays and poems and Persepolis. WONDERFUL!
    Also, I consider that we are all the human race, which is why racism only makes sense when you wish your dog were of the same race and could talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara :)
    I really think your blog is interesting! ahhaha
    And I love how witty your dog is XD ahahha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sara,
    i love the comic strip about the filipino! It's hilarious!!! Made me laugh hahah :)
    awesome blog :))

    ReplyDelete