Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Overall Reaction to "Persepolis"

Abby: SARA!!! Whatcha doing right now?

Me: Oh, you know. Sitting in my room by myself, eating dark chocolate, hunching over my laptop while trying to think of something to write. The usual.

Abby: You could write about your reaction to Persepolis.

Me: That's not a bad idea. Let's see... Overall, I thought that this book gave deep insight into those living during the Islamic Revolution in Iran. I liked how Satrapi used very simple black and white illustrations to convey her thoughts as a child. The cartoon-like art style made it seem like the cultural revolution could occur in any country, not just Iran. In a way, the art made her country seem almost relatable.

Abby: I can see the pictures, but what about the actual content?! Like the words and stuff?!

Me: I was going to get to that, sheesh. You dogs seem to have a very limited attention span. Anyways...I think the content made me realize how lucky I am to live in America. Well, at least right now. It's crazy to see how the fundamentalists in Iran disliked anything to do with Westernized culture. It was also interesting to see how a child viewed the revolution versus how the adults viewed it. I found it impressive and slightly amusing to see how Satrapi stood up to any educational figures. That's very bold of a young girl.



Abby: How about the violent stuff, like the torture or bombings?

Me: Now that would have really scared me if I were her age. Knowing that my neighborhood could be bombed at anytime would always have me on edge. If I ever saw my friend's house destroyed with them in it, like Satrapi did, I'd probably be permanently scarred for life. I don't think I could handle knowing any family friends being tortured. The book just had me realize how safe I am living here, for the most part.

Abby: You going to anything now that you're done with the graphic novel?

Me: I'll probably buy the second book, Persepolis 2. I might watch the movie Persepolis as well, since I read about it in my film class the other day. It was nominated for multiple awards.



Abby: Oh, I was hinting at maybe giving me a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment